Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

New life


Last night around seven o'clock our female barn cat, Elsa, snuck in the house. We caught her and Gabby gently put her back outside. I gave her more water and shut the door.

This morning Seth came in from feeding and watering the baby chicks and surprised us with the news that Elsa had kittens! She didn't show up for breakfast on the patio so while he was out in the garage he looked back at the box we got ready for her behind some hay bales. We made the bed for her last weekend and put her in it. She jumped right out so I wasn't sure if she would have her babies there or not. I'm glad she did so I didn't have to go all over searching for her! When we discovered her she was nursing four babies. Unfortunately, there was a fifth baby in the box that didn't survive for whatever reason. We brought a food and water dish to her so she can stay near the babies. 

The kids checked on her many times during the day and she seems to be taking to motherhood well. The kittens looks black and grey as of now. Bobcat, their dad, is a grey long haired cat and you can see Elsa's coloring in the picture below. It will be fun to see how unique each kitten ends up looking!

Photo by Emery


I just LOVE how Elsa's paw is under the little butt of the kitten on the left of the picture! So sweet. I can't wait until she starts bringing them out to play.

I'm a little nervous because it's supposed to be winter weather again here tonight and tomorrow but I think they'll be warm and cozy in their box in the corner of the garage out of the wind. I wonder if Bobcat will sleep with them? I think Bob and Elsa usually cuddle up together on the chilly nights - at least they used to at our old house.

What a fun spring surprise for the last day of April at Agate Acres!

Share with the world:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Beautifully Chaotic